Location: Oxford, UK
Salary: Competitive – dependent on experience
Hours: Full time
ClimateCare is a certified B Corporation.
From offices in the UK and Africa we work with businesses, governments and civil society to deliver integrated Climate+Care programmes which protect the environment and improve lives.
Our unique combination of project development experience and financial expertise is built over 19 years and coupled with a focus on delivering robust, measurable results.
To date, we have deployed over $100 million to deliver social and environmental impacts. We’ve already improved the lives of over 6 million people, reduced 16.5 million tonnes of CO2, and set an ambitious vision for 2020.
Find out more at www.climatecare.org
Carbon Portfolio Management
A core part of many successful companies’ sustainability strategy continues to be the reduction of carbon emissions and also further voluntary investment into carbon reducing projects elsewhere to compensate for their emissions. ClimateCare manages this funding process, helping businesses finance a wide array of low carbon projects in the developing world.
Our clients have diverse and specific preferences for the low carbon projects in which they invest or support, typically investing in several projects, building a portfolio. In order to ensure ClimateCare can always meet and exceed its clients’ carbon offset requirements, the Voluntary Portfolio Manager must always have access to new projects and programmes to match up to client requirements, and manage the flow of funds to those projects via the purchase of voluntary carbon credits. The Portfolio Manager position is a pivotal role, sitting in between the projects and carbon supply market and business clients.
A rare opportunity has arisen for an outstanding individual in ClimateCare’s Portfolio Team:
Commercially minded yet analytical, the Portfolio Manager will have responsibility to construct and tailor bespoke voluntary carbon portfolios for new and existing clients, develop wholesale prospects and manage all buying activities end to end from price negotiation through to delivery. The role will require development of a broad understanding of the voluntary carbon market, active and focused engagement with the supplier network and application of the knowledge gained to ensure ClimateCare can always provide the best portfolios to our clients and prospects in the short and longer term. The right individual will think laterally and proactively to capitalise on opportunities, and always be looking ahead as the market evolves.
This is a full time, permanent position, working alongside two part time portfolio team members.
Position title will be dependent on candidate’s experience.
Control the supply of carbon project credits
- Build and maintain good relationships with key existing and new suppliers/project developers
- Develop an excellent knowledge of current voluntary carbon credit market pricing and supply availability
- Constantly seek new partnership or transactional opportunities to secure supply of the right project credits over the longer term
Generate wholesale transactions
- Build and maintain relationships with wholesale market buyers
- Identify and pursue new wholesale opportunities, thinking creatively to structure deals
Create new portfolios for prospects and existing clients
- Work closely with account management and business development to identify exact client carbon project requirements strategically managing specific requirements with long term goals of their portfolios
- Source projects from existing ClimateCare partnerships and the wider market
- Make pricing decisions, calling upon knowledge of the client, supplier and supply conditions, market trends and commercial requirements
- Obtain and maintain all project information required by the wider teams
Trade and transact project credits
- Strong negotiation, drawing on market knowledge, to secure the best pricing
- Compilation and oversight of contractual and trade documentation with keen attention to detail
- Maintain internal trade booking system and ClimateCare’s external carbon registry accounts
Act as a knowledge hub
- Build a good knowledge of the existing VER portfolio and individual projects
- Manage substantial flow of project information, acting as knowledge hub on voluntary projects, the market and VER standard and registry developments
- Where required, attend client and prospect meetings acting as portfolio & project expert
- Commercial or business background
- Proactive approach
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with capacity to work well as a team and interact with senior management
- Ability to manage a high work load effectively and independently
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail
- Numerate with good working excel skills
- Good understanding of the environmental space, in particular voluntary carbon markets
Share our passion and think you’re the perfect addition to our team? Send us your CV and a one-page covering letter explaining why you want to join us and why you’re the perfect fit for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!