Join Our Team
Director of Voluntary Portfolio Management
Location: Oxford, UK
Salary: Competitive plus a bonus related to performance
Type: Full time
ClimateCare is a Profit for Purpose business which works with forward-thinking organisations to help turn their climate responsibilities into positive outcomes. Since 1997, ClimateCare and its partners have cut over 35 million tonnes of CO2, and improved quality of life for more than 37 million people around the world.
We have more than 20 years’ experience as a leader in the global carbon markets and climate change sector. We work with major public and private sector clients to fund sustainable development projects that reduce carbon emissions at scale, measurably increase quality of life and deliver towards the UN Global Goals. ClimateCare also advises on a range of climate change mitigation and adaptation subjects, from large scale implementation to national climate change policies.
ClimateCare’s award-winning team use their extensive experience to design, structure finance for, and deliver impactful projects around the world. ClimateCare develops cost-efficient, high impact, Climate+Care programmes to tackle poverty, improve health, and protect the environment.
ClimateCare is currently ranked the number one B Corp in the UK – B Corp is a global movement of more than 2,500 purpose-driven companies that are using business as a force for good. ClimateCare operates globally from offices in Oxford, UK, and Kenya.
A rare opportunity has arisen for an outstanding individual to lead ClimateCare’s Voluntary Portfolio Team. The team works with our extensive network of project partners and suppliers (over 270 projects, in 56 countries covering 34 different technologies) to fulfil these portfolio elements via the purchase of voluntary carbon credits. We also work with other market intermediaries to sell our exclusive partner projects to the wholesale market.
This is a pivotal role, sitting in between the carbon supply market of projects and our client teams & wholesale clients. It is a highly commercial and accountable management role, covering structuring client portfolios and fulfilment, and our wholesale business. This individual will manage the voluntary portfolio team and our client driven deliverables.
Our clients have diverse and specific preferences for the carbon reducing projects in which they invest or support, typically requiring a portfolio of emission reduction credits from several projects. They require different structures to meet their needs from spot transactions to forward, multi-year and variable volume orders. In order to ensure ClimateCare can always deliver against the required carbon, environmental and development outcomes of our clients’ programmes, the Portfolio team works hard to always have the right access to varied projects and programmes across the world.
This is a critical and growing area of the business: if you believe you have the right skills and are ready to deliver results and generate impacts, then we would be keen to hear from you.
- Manage the voluntary portfolio team to meet the company’s key portfolio objectives
- Assess and develop the commercial approach in all aspects of the portfolio team’s activities
- Accountable for the provision of client carbon portfolio propositions to the Client and Business Development teams
- Deliver on the wholesale targets, generating and implementing the strategy
- Implement and manage buy-side strategies to fulfil liabilities
- Manage the supply of carbon and other market credits, building and maintaining productive relationships
- Oversee all fulfilment of voluntary portfolio liabilities
- Provide market information and intelligence to the wider teams, and
- Represent ClimateCare at different forums when relevant
1. Create portfolios for prospects and existing clients
- Take accountability for the production of all carbon or other portfolio proposals to meet client needs and deadlines. This involves working with Client Services and Business Development to define briefs or specifications and agreeing the most effective sourcing strategy
- Price proposals for all client options and portfolios, weighing up specific client portfolio and financial requirements with supplier and supply conditions, market trends, and the benefit to ClimateCare
- Source project credits from existing ClimateCare partnerships and the wider market
- Obtain, maintain and manage the flow of all project information required by the wider teams
2. Deliver wholesale business
- Create and implement the team’s wholesale strategy to achieve set targets
- Maintain productive sales relationships with wholesale market buyers to meet business targets
- Direct response to wholesale pricing requests and oversee fulfilment of sales
- Identify and pursue new wholesale opportunities, structuring deals appropriately
3. Manage the supply of carbon project credits
- Build and maintain good relationships with key existing and new suppliers / project developers, holding periodic update meetings where required
- Seek new partnership or opportunities to secure a constant supply of a range of diverse, compelling and competitive project credits
- Understand the supply side market and share information effectively to assist in generating competitive pricing, and in longer term planning
- Working with other teams, help to secure project assets using different contractual structures and partnerships to help win new corporate and wholesale business and retaining existing business
- Assist in the management of exclusive project partners
4. Trade, transact and manage delivery of project and other environmental credits and solutions
- Optimise deals through structuring, negotiating and closing of transactions and strategic management of inventory
- Oversee fulfilment of all transactions, supply side contracts and wholesale sell side deals from onboarding, KYC, contracting and trade documentation to registry management and delivery / retirement of credits
5. Management of team
- Develop strategy, annual plans and budget for team
- Ensure all staff have clear plans, targets and development plans
- Provide regular supervision meetings and support
- Ensure staff are well motivated and work to the visions and values of ClimateCare
- Minimum 5 years commercial or business background in a role with exposure to financial markets and or brokerage / trading in carbon markets
- Experience managing end to end sales lifecycle from pre-sale proposals and structuring to contracts and delivery
- Highly commercial, able to optimise financial returns with ability to produce winning portfolios
- Track record of prioritising a high workload, with wide-ranging deliverables
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with capacity to work well in a team environment
- Highly numerate with good working excel skills
- An understanding of carbon markets and products and their role in tackling climate change
- Right to work in the UK is essential
- Ability to generate and maintain excellent and productive relationships with wholesale clients, supply partners and internal teams
- Proactive and accountable
- Negotiation capability
- Track record in generating new business opportunities, closing deals and meeting customer needs
- Contractual management experience is highly advantageous
Share our passion and values, think you’re the perfect addition to our team? Send us your CV and a one-page covering letter explaining why you want to join us and why you’re the right fit for this role to [email protected]