Join Our Team
Location: Oxford, UK
Salary: Competitive, plus a bonus related to performance
ClimateCare is a Profit for Purpose business which works with forward-thinking organisations to help turn their climate responsibilities into positive outcomes. Since 1997, ClimateCare and its partners have cut over 35 million tonnes of CO2, and improved quality of life for more than 37 million people around the world.
We have more than 20 years’ experience as a leader in the global carbon markets and climate change sector. We work with major public and private sector clients to fund sustainable development projects that reduce carbon emissions at scale, measurably increase quality of life and deliver towards the UN Global Goals. ClimateCare also advises on a range of climate change mitigation and adaptation subjects, from large scale implementation to national climate change policies.
ClimateCare’s award-winning team use their extensive experience to design, structure finance for, and deliver impactful projects around the world. ClimateCare develops cost-efficient, high impact, Climate+Care programmes to tackle poverty, improve health, and protect the environment.
ClimateCare is currently ranked the number one B Corp in the UK – B Corp is a global movement of more than 2,500 purpose-driven companies that are using business as a force for good. ClimateCare operates globally from offices in Oxford, UK, and Kenya.
A rare opportunity has arisen for an outstanding individual in ClimateCare’s Portfolio Management Team. The team works with our extensive network of project partners and suppliers (over 270 projects, in 56 countries covering 34 different technologies) to fulfil these portfolio elements via the purchase of voluntary carbon credits. We also work with other market intermediaries to sell our exclusive partner projects to the wholesale market.
Our clients have diverse and specific preferences for the carbon reducing projects in which they invest or support, typically requiring a portfolio of emission reduction credits from several projects. They require different structures to meet their needs from spot transactions to forward, multi-year and variable volume orders. In order to ensure ClimateCare can always deliver against the required carbon, environmental and development outcomes of our clients’ programmes, the Portfolio team works hard to always have the right access to varied projects and programmes across the world.
Commercially minded, the Portfolio Manager will have the responsibility to develop wholesale business engaging with clients directly. They will construct, tailor & price bespoke voluntary carbon portfolios, as well as renewable energy credit offers, for new and existing clients working with the Account Management team, and participate in buying activities end to end from price negotiation through to delivery. The role will require development of a broad understanding of the (voluntary) carbon market, development of opportunities and relationships with our wholesale network, focused engagement with our supplier network, and application of the knowledge gained to ensure ClimateCare can always provide the best portfolios, projects and credits to our clients and prospects in the short and longer term. The right individual will be hard working, think laterally and proactively to capitalise on opportunities, and always be looking ahead as the market continues to evolve.
This is a pivotal role in a growing area of the business, sitting in between the carbon supply market of projects and our client teams & wholesale clients: if you believe you have the right skills and are ready to deliver results and generate impacts, then we would be keen to hear from you.
- Develop client carbon portfolio propositions for the Client and Business Development teams
- Help deliver on the team’s wholesale targets, generating sales and implementing the strategy
- Implement and manage project credit buy-side strategies to fulfil client contracts
- Manage the supply of carbon and other market credits, building and maintaining productive relationships
- Assist in the transactional fulfilment of voluntary portfolio liabilities
1. Create portfolios for prospects and existing clients
– Produce carbon or other portfolio proposals to meet client needs to deadlines. This involves working with Client Services and Business Development to define briefs or specifications and agreeing the most effective project & credit sourcing strategy
– Price proposals for all client options and portfolios, weighing up specific client portfolio and financial requirements with supplier and supply conditions, market trends & competitiveness, management of risk and the benefit to ClimateCare
– Source project credits and the information needed for the proposals from existing ClimateCare partnerships and the wider market
– Obtain, maintain and manage the flow of all project information required by the wider teams
2. Deliver wholesale business
– Implement the team’s wholesale strategy to achieve set targets
– Maintain productive sales relationships with wholesale market buyers to meet business targets
– Direct response to wholesale pricing requests and oversee fulfilment of sales
– Identify and pursue new wholesale opportunities, structuring deals appropriately
3. Manage the supply of carbon project credits
– Build and maintain good relationships with key existing and new suppliers / project developers
– Seek new partnership or opportunities to secure a constant supply of a range of diverse, compelling and competitive project credits
– Understand the supply side market, obtain and share pricing, availability and market information effectively to assist in generating competitive pricing, and in longer term planning
– Assist in the management of exclusive project partners holding periodic update meetings where required
4 Trade, transact and manage delivery of project and other environmental credits and solutions
– Negotiate with suppliers to generate the best structure and most advantageous pricing
– Take responsibility for the fulfilment of transactions, supply side contracts and wholesale sell side deals from onboarding, KYC, contracting and trade documentation to registry management and delivery / retirement of credits
- Minimum 3 years’ commercial or business background with exposure to financial markets and brokerage / trading in carbon markets highly advantageous
- Experience managing end to end sales lifecycle from pre-sale proposals and structuring to managing productive external relationships, to contracts and delivery
- Demonstrable attention to detail and an understanding of risk management
- Highly commercial, able to optimise financial returns with ability to produce winning portfolios
- Highly numerate and analytical with good working excel skills
- Track record of prioritising a high workload, with wide-ranging deliverables
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with capacity to work well in a team environment
- An understanding of carbon markets and products and their role in tackling climate change
- Proactive and accountable
- Right to work in the UK is essential
Share our passion and values, think you’re the perfect addition to our team? Send us your CV and a one-page covering letter explaining why you want to join us and why you’re the right fit for this role to [email protected]. We look forward to hearing from you.