Households and businesses across India often depend on unreliable grid electricity for heating and lighting, or use highly polluting kerosene lights. Water is commonly heated using electricity from the grid, powered largely by coal, which is dirty and polluting. Many cannot afford the cost of electricity or kerosene at all.
ClimateCare has partnered with the award winning Orb Energy to use carbon finance to provide affordable, reliable solar power for electricity and heating. The company has opened franchises throughout India, offering high quality solar equipment, installation and maintenance services, and micro-finance. Orb Energy’s services give people control over their own energy provision, and at the same time reduce reliance on fossil-fuels, helping to tackle climate change. So far over 130,000 units are providing safe, reliable power to houses and businesses across India.
This project increases the penetration of solar technology into rural and semi-urban India: solar PV for off-grid electricity production, and solar thermal systems for hot water. Household electricity bills can be reduced by more than 50% when using solar water heating. People are not only saving money on fuel bills – many now have safe, reliable power for the first time.
Being able to turn on a light after sunset means children have more time to read and do homework, and longer and more consistent opening hours mean businesses are able to generate greater incomes. The project cuts around 25,000 tonnes of CO2 every year and you can support it by offsetting your unavoidable carbon emissions, through ClimateCare. Contact us to find out more.
- Job creation: over 500 jobs have been created.
- Powering business: generating safe, reliable power.
- Lighting up Lives: a consistent electricity supply through the solar system means families are no longer dependent on unreliable grid energy, allowing more time for study and income-generating activities. Many households have been provided with power for the first time.
- Tackling poverty: electricity bills have been reduced.
- Cutting carbon: reducing 25,000 tonnes of CO2 every year.
Case Study: Rajendra Chitragi
Rajendra Chitragi, a Fruit Merchant, has found that solar lights have increased business by attracting people into his shop, particularly during power cuts.
TO SUPPORT THIS, OR OTHER SIMILAR PROJECTS, CONTACT CLIMATECARE ON +44(0)1865 591000