Join Our Team
LOCATION: Oxford, UK
SALARY: Competitive – dependent on experience
HOURS: Full time
Title: Portfolio Manager / Junior Portfolio Manager, depending on candidate’s experience
- Your opportunity to join an award-winning company committed to delivering positive impacts for people and the environment
- A pivotal and highly visible role interacting with various internal and external stakeholders to assist the fulfilment of sustainability strategies
- A rare chance to be at the heart of climate finance and help the transition towards a low-carbon economy
- Well-suited to a commercially-focused, numerate professional with a personal interest in sustainable development
Carbon Portfolio Management
A core part of many successful companies’ sustainability strategy continues to be the reduction of carbon emissions in-house as well as voluntary investment into carbon reducing projects and to renewable energy to compensate for their emissions. ClimateCare manages this process, helping businesses contribute to a wide array of low carbon projects around the world.
Our clients have diverse and specific preferences for the low carbon projects in which they invest or support, typically requiring a portfolio of several projects. In order to ensure ClimateCare can always deliver against the required carbon and environmental / development outcomes of our clients’ programmes, the Portfolio team must always have access to new projects and programmes.
The team works with our extensive network of project partners and suppliers to fulfil these portfolio elements via the purchase of carbon credits, renewable energy certificates, and other relevant environmental instruments. We also work with other market intermediaries to sell our exclusive partner projects to the wholesale market.
We are a small team but pivotal to the fulfilment of the carbon side of the business, sitting in between the projects and carbon supply market and business clients.
A rare opportunity has arisen for an outstanding individual in ClimateCare’s Portfolio Team.
Commercially minded yet analytical, the Portfolio Manager will have the responsibility to construct and tailor bespoke voluntary carbon portfolios for new and existing clients, develop wholesale business engaging with clients directly, and participate in buying activities end to end from price negotiation through to delivery. The role will require development of a broad understanding of the (voluntary) carbon market, active and focused engagement with our supplier and wholesale network, and application of the knowledge gained to ensure ClimateCare can always provide the best portfolios, projects and credits to our clients and prospects in the short and longer term. The right individual will be hard working, think laterally and proactively to capitalise on opportunities, and always be looking ahead as the market continues to evolve.
This is a full-time, permanent position, reporting to the Head of Voluntary Portfolio Management.
Position title will be dependent on candidate’s experience.
Create portfolios for prospects and existing clients
- Accountability for production of all carbon or other environmental project or portfolio proposals to deadlines, following briefs or specifications and working with the Business Development & Client Services teams to agree the most effective sourcing strategy
- Price proposals for all client options and portfolios weighing up specific client portfolio and financial requirements with supplier and supply conditions, market trends, and the benefit to ClimateCare
- Source project credits from existing ClimateCare partnerships and the wider market
- Obtain, maintain and manage the flow of all project information required by the wider teams
Generate wholesale transactions
- Implement the team’s proactive wholesale strategy and maintain good relationships with wholesale market buyers to meet business targets
- Respond to wholesale pricing requests and oversee fulfilment of sales
- Identify and pursue new wholesale opportunities, structuring deals appropriately
Control the supply of carbon project credits
- Build and maintain good relationships with key existing and new suppliers / project developers, holding periodic update meetings where required
- Seek new partnership or transactional opportunities to secure a constant supply of a range of diverse, compelling & competitive project credits
- Understand the supply side market and share information effectively to assist in generating competitive pricing, and in longer term planning
Trade, transact and manage project credits
- Negotiate with suppliers to generate the best structure and most advantageous pricing
- Take responsibility for the fulfilment of single project and portfolio transactions from contracting and trade documentation with the counterparties to delivery/retirement of credits
- Maintain the internal trade booking system and ClimateCare’s external carbon registry accounts with the wider team
- Commercial or business background
- Track record of prioritising a high workload, with deliverables to different internal teams
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with capacity to work well in a team environment
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail
- Highly numerate with good working excel skills
- An understanding and some familiarity with carbon markets and their role in tackling climate change, though in-depth projects knowledge is not needed
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to generate and maintain excellent and productive external relationships
Share our passion and think you’re the perfect addition to our team? Send us your CV and a one-page covering letter explaining why you want to join us and why you’re the perfect fit for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you.