Join Our Team
Commercial & Operations Director - ClimateCare Kenya
LOCATION: Nairobi, Kenya
SALARY: Competitive – dependent on experience
HOURS: Full time
Title: Commercial & Operations Director
Purpose of the Role:
This is an exciting and challenging role. You will be responsible for both operational management and business development for ClimateCare Kenya. In this role, you will be accountable for ensuring timely project development and delivery, driving New Business Development and ensuring effective operations of the business.
This is a fast growing and dynamic business area: if you are ready to take the challenge, then we are looking for you!
Develop and implement systems, processes and dynamics around:
- Strategy planning and prioritisation of activities for Kenya Team
- Weekly prioritisation of committed tasks and projects
- Monitoring and ensuring effective delivery, on time and to budget
- Communication within team and with Oxford to maximise collaborative working and new business opportunities
- Quality Control of all project deliverables
Managing staff and building team culture:
- Line manage all staff in ClimateCare Kenya against clear, measurable KPIs.
- Develop a company culture within CCK of commercial focus, delivery and communication.
Managing ClimateCare Kenya budget and accounting:
- Ensure effective accounting systems are in place with appropriate checks
- Manage budget and ensure timely reporting
- Produce monthly reports, year projections and future forecasts as required
- Build relationships with existing partners
- Become familiar with relevant agencies and authorities
- Develop critical understanding of climate agreements, discussions and policies and how they affect the business
Commercialise existing service offering and increase revenue through ClimateCare Kenya:
- Plan and report against each opportunity in the forecast.
- Notify of any loss/fallout of opportunity immediately.
Attract new business and partnerships:
- Assess each opportunity for commercial opportunity
- Write proposals to potential partners
- Shift focus to high margin projects, over a multi-year tenor
- Market trends and analysis for post 2020 Climate policy
- Develop forward forecast revenue streams
- 3-5 year plan for increased volume through ClimateCare Kenya
Work closely with ClimateCare Oxford new business development team to maximise growth opportunities and new service offerings
Work in collaboration to assess feasibility and design, and develop new climate change innovation lab to stimulate external funding
Manage Communication between ClimateCare Teams in Oxford, UK and Nairobi, Kenya
Understand commercial drivers for ClimateCare’s Portfolio Management, Client Services and Business Development Team in the UK
Effectively communicate project management progress and deliverables for all team projects
We are seeking candidates who have:
- The ability to develop and manage processes
- A commercial awareness and business acumen with the ability to think strategically
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Self-starter who likes to work collaboratively and independently, taking ownership for assigned deliverables
- Team player with the ability to foster good working relationships
- Senior operations manager or business developer with at least 5-7 years of experience at least 3 of which are in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Sound knowledge of the most relevant topics (renewable energy and/or carbon markets, corporate responsibility, sustainable development and climate change)
- Strong network of companies in the region, especially in the airlines, oil & gas, consumer goods and infrastructure sectors
- Demonstrated understanding and delivery of proposals under governmental and development agencies (DFID, USAID, World Bank, etc.)
- Commercial acumen; proven track record in relationship building and negotiation with customers, suppliers and relevant associations
- Demonstrated track record of commercial success
- Understanding of general finance and budgeting, including profit and loss, balance sheet and cash-flow management.
- Ability to build consensus and relationships among managers, partners, and employees.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent verbal and written command of English
- English Language – Fluent/Mother Tongue.
- Knowledge and experience working in the climate change sector
- Current right to live and work in Kenya
- Kiswahili Language Skills
- Experience working in sustainability, Corporate Social Responsibility, Grant Funding
Suitable candidates should send an email to [email protected] with “Commercial & Operations Director – LastName, FirstName” in the subject line and the following attachments:
- A cover letter titled, “LastName, FirstName – Letter”
- A CV titled, “LastName, FirstName – CV”
Please do not attach any additional documents.
Applications should be received by 26th July 2019